Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2010 in Review: Happy Sweet 16 Paola!

Here is the sweet sixteen year old herself, Paola:

Paola's mother was my babysitter from age 9 months until I left for college. Tears are brought to my eyes when I think about Dina, she was there for every important milestone in my life growing up. She was my second mother, I have many memories of calling her mom as a young child. I often think of her when I am challenged by Jack, I don't know how she had the energy for both me and my twin sister.
When my family moved from DC to Vienna when we were 2 1/2, she came with us even though it dramatically increased her commute. She lived with us in Vienna while we were young. Poor Dina was harassed by us way after my parents got home from work, we always wanted to play with her and paint our nails in her room. When I walk into the guest bedroom in my Mom's house I can still remember exactly what it looked like when it was Dina's room. Dina taught me so much about life, I always remember the most random memories. She was always very fair, never a push over and never too strict. We respected her rules, we spent a lot of time outside as kids but I clearly remember one time I went outside without her permission, I felt so guilty the whole time that I hadn't asked permission. I soon ran back inside to go ask. That was her rule, she always said yes to us playing outside but we had to ask permission first. Obviously that is a good rule but I remember the importance she instilled in us about that rule.
She probably remembers things a lot differently then I do but I am sure we both remember a lot of loving memories.
I remember how she made the best waffles for lunch!
She cooked my family dinner almost every night and cleaned our house too, we were so blessed to have someone like her in our taking care of us, mothering us. We are blessed to have the happy memories she has given us.
I remember several of her signature dishes and I remember how she was allowed to have coke with dinner and our options were always milk, water or orange juice.
Here is the special women herself, she will always hold an important place in my heart.
I remember when she would pick me up from preschool, summer day camp, soccer practice, friends houses and many more. I remember in high school when she let me drive her cool new silver Honda Civic to school one day and big upgrade from my 1992 black Nissan Sentra.
I clearly remember the day she said to me, my mom and my sister that she "may be pregnant" and then when she confirmed the news I was over the moon. I was finally getting the little sister that I have always wanted. I remember when we had to go to the after school program while she was on maternity leave, I remember the day she came back with with her tiny little baby girl, Paola. I remember beaming with pride telling my classmates about Paola the day after she was born.
We had so much fun playing with Paola growing up. I even kept a little journal about her firsts, I wrote down at 4 months when she first held her bottle all by herself. She learned how to crawl because she loved our cat Jasmine and was determine to inch her little body closer to that cat. JA-MIN was also one of her first words. I always think of her every year one December 4th and count back the years to 1994 to figure out how old she is. I was nine when she was born, I can't believe this year we got to celebrate her 16th birthday!
These two young ladies below are Paola's cousins, Dina's nieces. Daniela is a few year younger then me then Mary is a few year older then me. I have the best memories of birthday parties, sleepovers and much more. We went to Daniela's quincera and we were attendants in Mary's quincera.

I admire this sweet family, Dina, Maria (Dina's sister-Daniela & Mary's mom) Paola, Mary, Daniela, and Mary's son Mathew.
We were all family, Dina raised me as my second mother and it felt so good to be reunited again. We are getting together next weekend, I can't wait!
Here are a few more shots of the party.








When I called Dina to tell her I was pregnant, we both got teary eyed, she couldn't believe the baby girl she raised from 9 months old was all grown up.
I couldn't have asked for a sweeter, more caring women to be my second mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment