Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mr. & Mrs. Admiral D

Mr. and Mrs. Admiral D*

(*I am trying to have a degree of privacy)

The D's live across the street from the house Gabe grew up in McLean, VA.
The D's have known Gabe since he was about 6 months old. They have been like grandparents to him and his sisters. His family cares about them a lot and the D's love us. I admire my father-in-law, he drives Mr. D to almost all of his doctors appointments in Bethesda, MD. I admire how all of my in-laws help take care of their neighbors.
Getting old stinks. The D's were old when I meet them back in 2002 but still able. I was always invited to Gabe's family events, sometimes it was a bit overwhelming, he has a big family. It was relief when I would site Mrs. D at a La Monica party. I enjoyed spending my time chatting with the D's. Mrs. D was stylish and the type of person that made you feel good about yourself. I had real conversations with her and even shed a few tears once or twice talking with her. She believed Gabriel and I were meant to be.
The D's love Jack, the first walk we ever took Jack on was in his grandparents neighborhood, which of course included a stop at the D's so they could meet the baby.
They were amazed the child, Gabriel, they watched grow up now had a child of his own. With the young girl they loved, they couldn't be happier for us.
Jack, on his first walk, in his grandparents neighborhood, 8 days old. We didn't have the car seat snapped in the stroller correctly, that's why his head is falling forward, oops, we were new parents!
In case you forgot, like I did, Jack did have a little hair when he was born, then it all fell out!
A few months ago Mr. D fell and broke his hip. He was in the hospital and then a rehabilitation center for a while. This was hard on Mrs. D, they had been married forever, retired for many years and used to spending every minute together, she missed him dearly.
When I think about older couples, I admire how united they are. It would be hard to function if something happened to your partner, the person who has become part of you.
I know this would not be true of every couple, but for the D's it is.
Tonight, as we all admired Jack cuteness. Mrs. D gushed about how cute she thought her husband was too. I admired that.
Mr. D has been back home for a while now but has still had to return to hospital a few times.
Even after breaking his hip earlier this year, he was still on the floor playing with Jack. Mrs. D actively played with him as well.
Like I said, getting old stinks, the D's health has changed since 2002, their love for the La Monica clan has not and never will.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the D's have always been a wonderful example to Jay & I and our kids! Admiral D. has always been like a father to me, helping me with the house over the years and he and his wife always ready to give advice to me and the kids!

    ReplyDelete