Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Birthday Twins

August 15, 1985 at 2:10pm twin A, Sarah Collier Crane, entered the world. Two minutes later, twin B, Leah Knuti Crane, followed.

Contrary to our height differences now, I was the bigger baby weighing in at 6 lb. 6 oz. Sarah was 6 lbs. Now she stands five inches taller then me.

Whenever my pregnancy was hard, or during trying times this past year of Jack's life, I try to ask myself, how did my mom do it with two?
We have been best friends since day one.
Too bad you can't hear the giggles that went along with bedtime. Putting our dirty socks on our ears was funny to us, we did this almost every night at this age. Play time didn't end until we retreated into our own rooms for bedtime.

As naturally conceived twins in the 80s, a time where multiple births were not common, we got a lot of curious questions growing up.

First off, no one ever believed we were twins, this still happens to us...
Q?: You are twins?
A?: Yes, probably in unison.
Q?: Oh I thought you were just best friends,
Well yes, we are that too...

Q?: Wait, how are you twins if you don't look a like?
A?: We are fraternal twins. (Fraternal twins develop from two separate eggs that a fertilized by two different sperm.)
Q?: So, you are not identical?
I often feeling like screaming, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE WORD, IDENTICAL, MEANS?
(Identical twins develop from one zygote that splits and forms two embryos.)

Q?: Do you have twin telepathy?
A?: No.
However, we do know each other extremely well.
Does it matter this birthday post is over a month late?
No, because she gets me.

Q?: Do twins run in your family?
A?: No.
Q?: Did your parents use fertility treatments?
A:? No.
I always am a bit shocked when people ask me about how my parents conceived twins. Either method, it is probably none of their business, however, I understand people are curious.

Again, Q?: But you don't look like?
A?: OH REALLY!?


Happy 25th Birthday to my sweet sister Sarah, I am so blessed to have you by my side :)




No comments:

Post a Comment