Saturday, September 4, 2010

Summer 2010 in review: Madison, Wisconsin

In June, my Mom, Jack and I took a trip to Madison, Wisconsin.
My mother is the youngest of four, the only daughter to Violet and Ernest Knuti, the baby sister to her older brothers, David, Bobby, and John.
-My Uncle David and Aunt Sigrid retired from living abroad to Madison, Wisconsin.
-A little later my Uncle John fell ill and moved from Arlington, Virginia to Madison.
-My Uncle Bobby and Aunt Carol live in Chicago, about two hours away from Madison.
Like their early years the brothers are reunited again in their later years.
I took John Gabriel La Monica Jr. to meet his Great Uncle John Knuti:
This picture was taken on the rooftop of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art:
This is one my Uncle John's favorite places to go. The art was amazing, the museum was intimate. It was enjoyable to be able to cover a whole museum without feeling rushed or overwhelmed by its large size. I recommend on any vacation you go on, checking out a local museum. It is a unique experience to that town or city, like the Andy Warhol Museum we visited while in Pittsburgh.

My Mom is an alum on the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Here is my mom, Uncle David and Uncle John at the student union. This is the summer time and the lake front terrace on Lake Mendota is bumping with a live band.
Memorial Union is impressive, it is the only student union in the country that serves alcoholic beverages.
This wasn't the first time I have visit UW-Madison, and every time we go to the union we get their delicious home made ice cream.
Here is the littlest Badger:

Who is also the littlest cubs fan:

My Mom grew up in Evanston, IL, right outside of Chicago. She tagged along with her older brothers to Wrigley field and has been a Cubs fan ever since. Ironically this t-shirt is a hand-me down from Gabe! He is a native Washingtonian however he did live in Chicago for a brief stint when he was a baby.

These pictures were taken in June, days before Jack learned to walk. He was over crawling by this point, he cruised everywhere he wanted to go. My Aunt Sigrid-who is smart in every practical aspect of life-like child rearing, knew he would be walking on his own in days. It was true, she never fails to be correct.
Aunt Sigrid, Jack and Aiti:

Aiti?
Aiti means mother in Finnish. My mom is 100% Finnish, making me 50% Finnish (no not half baked) and Jack is 25% Finnish.
Days before Jack was born we were brainstorming what my mom's grandma name would be.
IsoƤiti means grandmother in Finnish, so we shorten it to Aiti (meaning mother). Pronounced I-T or Eye-Tee.
Since our finnish heritage has always been important to us, it was very fitting.

It wouldn't be a trip to Wisconsin without going to someone's lake house, this is outside David & Sigrids lake house:
And going on a boat ride:


Later that day back in Madison with Uncle Bobby, Aiti, Uncle David and Jack:

Enjoying more time with Uncle John:
Jack enjoyed pushing John around in his wheelchair, he has super baby strength!

Growing up I spent nearly every holiday with my Uncle John, he attended my soccer games, high school graduation and he was constant figure in my life. I was so happy to spend time with him again, I miss him a lot. Jack is like a grandchild to him, it was an amazing introduction.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Jack in the life jacket that is about to engulf his whole face - so cute! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I published this a bit early, I have some typos!

    ReplyDelete